The Screen Behind the Mirror
released 2000 worldwide by Virgin Records.
Recorded at A.R.T. Studios in Ibiza, Spain
Jens worked extensively on the production, programming, performance and mix of this album. He cowrote the songs 'Push the Limits', Traces (Light and Weight) and Silence must be Heard.
A big part of the used sounds and samples stem from Jens' own custom sound library. Back then on an EMU 4 sampler. Jens and Michael have a great creative and visionary understanding - Michael explains his visions - often in graphical and abstract ways - and Jens is mainly in the studio creating sound beds and structures or preproducing new Enigma songs they would then finish together. At this point Jens steps out of remix production because he is focusing more on the actual production of the often lenghty and profound creation schedules of Enigma albums.
1. "The Gate" (Cretu) 2:04
2. "Push the Limits" (Cretu, Jens Gad) 6:26
3. "Gravity of Love" (Cretu) 3:58
4. "Smell of Desire" (Cretu, David Fairstein) 4:57
5. "Modern Crusaders" (Cretu) 3:50
6. "Traces (Light and Weight)" (Cretu, Gad) 4:11
7. "The Screen Behind the Mirror" (Cretu) 3:58
8. "Endless Quest" (Cretu) 3:06
9. "Camera Obscura" (Cretu) 1:27
10. "Between Mind & Heart" (Cretu) 4:09
11. "Silence Must Be Heard" (Cretu, Gad) 5:19
Total length: 43:25
Supporters of the album credited it as the most mature album, while critics lamented the use of extensive samples from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, even though it only appears on four out of the eleven tracks on the album.